Sunday, October 24, 2010

Busy Boy

Justin was a busy boy today. He hung the rest of the doors and outfitted many of them with doorknobs and latches and the like. The only think holding him up was me...I was a little behind on my prepping the doorknobs and latches and the like.

Our linen closet, all buttoned up.

So, while I was finishing up the prepping of hardware, J moved onto relocating the light switch so that it wouldn't be behind the door in the bedroom.

The pocket door for the master closet with adjacent new light switch.Check out the period hardware on the spare bedroom door! Salvaged from our own home.

Trying to use up the expiring Chinook Book coupons for 2010, we stopped by Second Use, a used building supply store, and found two matching bifold doors for the second bedroom's closet in the right size and style all for about $75 which was a screaming deal for solid oak doors in a craftsman style. Yippee!! So, we'll have more door stories coming soon.

Saturday, October 23, 2010


Justin and I have been hard at work, starting projects left and right. But all of this work has left precious little time for blogging so it's time to play catch up.

First, check out a finished project:

We made the really, we made the frame and headboard. I just couldn't bear the price of an upholstered bed from the store when the materials to DIY the bed were less than $200. So the bedroom is looking a little on the gray side but at some point I'm going to find some red and orange accents to liven the room up a bit.

So, how did we do it? The headboard is a separate piece and is actually mounted on the wall with french cleats. It was pretty easy...we cut a 3/8" piece of plywood and used a frame of 2x2s to shore up the plywood and give it some structure. Then we glued a piece of 2" foam to the front of the plywood and covered the foam and plywood with batting. We fastened the batting to the frame with staples, making sure that the batting was smooth. Finally, we covered the batting with the upholstery fabric, pulling the sides taut and stapling the selvage to the backside. For the bed frame, we cut 3/4" plywood 7.5" wide and to the lengths of the boxspring. We mounted 2x4s to two of the plywood strips to form and "L", giving a shelf for one side of the boxspring to rest on. Then we screwed the plywood strips together to form a box. Next, we added one 2x4 piece in the center of the box to hold up the boxspring (we have a king bed so there are actually 2 twin-size boxsprings). Finally, we attached furniture feet to the box to give it a little height off the ground and a finished look. There are 7 feet on this bed, one on each corner and three attached to the 2x4 in the center. I ordered the furniture feet online. And lastly, we upholstered the frame just like the headboard, except skipping the foam layer.

So, what else have we been up to? Check out those nightstands in the photo. That was another lengthy project. We sanded off the finish from two nightstands that I picked up from craigslist and painted and stained the bare wood to make them look like new. The feet are painted black and the rest of the box is stained a medium-dark finish. This was a lot of work. The sanding was tedious (and because we couldn't easily get all of the nooks and crannies, I decided to paint part of it). The painting took 2 coats + a coat of primer and the staining was a bit of a disaster. Let me warn everyone that you never want to buy the staining product that has stain and polyurethane all in one. It is a sloppy mess. The sheen was inconsistent and the color was streaky. I ended up settling with the streaky finish and going over the whole kit'n'caboodle with clear polyurethane for 3 coats. Luckily, polyurethane goes on and finishes like a dream.

So, there's my $300 of used and homemade bedroom furniture. I hadn't exactly planned to do this so much on the cheap but sometimes it just works out like that.

In other news, we finally have a bathroom door (upstairs). In fact, we have doors for all of the bedrooms and a few closets too now. Justin and I painted 7 doors over the last few weeks and have 3 of 7 hanging in their final home. We still need to attach the doorknobs and other hardware as well as figure out the strategy for hanging the other 4 doors (these require us to mortise out the frames for the hinges.)

At long last....Privacy!